Severe Weather Protocal
There may be occasions where severe weather causes disruption to travel and impacts on the safe operation of the school site. Most commonly this will be due to snowfall.
We will, as far as possible, make every effort to keep the school open when it is safe to do so. However, there may be times when opening the school will be unsafe for both pupils and staff.
The decision to close the school, either before or during the school day will be made by the Headteacher.
The school will only be closed if one or more of the following conditions apply:
1. Insufficient staff are able to come in to keep the school running safely.
2. Conditions on site are dangerous
3. Conditions are considered to be or are anticipated to later become too hazardous for travel.
If the school is to close due to any of the above conditions, the following will apply:
- We will update our website as soon as a decision is made (a banner will run across the top of the page)
- A text message will be sent to all parents
- We will inform local radio station who will broadcast school closures, including BBC Radio Berkshire, The Breeze and Heart
Please ensure that the school office have your correct mobile number so that you will receive the text message.
In the event of the school having to close during the day due to unforeseen worsening weather or similar unforeseen circumstances, parents will be contacted by phone and the school will endeavour to arrange transport for those pupils who use it. A closure during the school day will only occur in the most extreme of situations. We would always try to ensure that pupils remain on school site until the end of the school day unless it is unsafe to do so.
The Severe Weather Policy is attached below